Make your own free website on
Holmes Chapel Parish Council
Please click this banner to return to our main page.

Thursday 08 November 2001 at 7.30 p.m.

1. Attendance
Mr TJ Howkins (Chairman)
Mrs J Booth (Vice-Chairman)
Mrs ME Coombs
Mrs DE Currie
Mr PJ Gregory
Mrs IM Mackenzie
Mrs YD Moore
Mr DR Peake
Mr AC Rickards
Mr J Rigby

Mrs SJ Maddock
County Councillor K Oliver

2. Minutes
Council – 04-10-01 - approved
Amenities & Planning – 11-10-01 - received
Traffic & Planning – 25-10-01 - received
Finance – 01-11-01 - received

3. Matters arising
Clerk reported on issues arising from last cycle of meetings – see attached schedule [See below]

4. Performance review
Council considered action taken since last cycle of meetings. Clerk to complete preparation of draft standing orders

5. Amenities & Planning
Items agreed for inclusion in next agenda in particular budgets

6. Traffic & Planning
1. Next meeting - Items agreed for inclusion in next agenda in particular budgets
2. Library – Concern that new meeting date not fixed. Chairman had pursued this matter and would continue to press for a meeting.

7. Finance
1. Next meeting - Items agreed for inclusion in next agenda in particular budgets
2. Accounts for payment:
DR Cowgill – Salary Oct £393.60
Rotary Holmes Chapel – Christmas lights £500.00
Cranage PC – Byley gas plant planning costs £1000.00
DR Cowgill – Expenses £30.00

8.Borough Council matters
1. Area Committee 3:
 Next meeting 04-12-01
 Resolved Clerk reply to questionnaire expressing concern re constitution of areas comprised in this committee and lack of effectiveness because of voting powers
2. Reports – Borough Councillors reported on the following:
 Work on yellow lines on Brookfield Drive still outstanding
 Resurfacing work carried out on Middlewich Road
 New committee / cabinet structure in operation from 01-11-01
 50 mph speed limit from Saltersford to Twemlow now approved
 Concern about CCC’s reasons for refusing Byley gas plant application – may be indefensible on appeal. Resolved: Clerk inform Cranage PC of our financial position on an appeal, ask for the views of Dr. Le-Las and arrange further discussion at next T&P.
 Dane housing providing new windows for bungalows on Chester Rd, Hermitage Drive and Sadlers Close

9. Planning applications

33787/3 – 75 Middlewich Rd – no objection
33793/3 – HC Comprehensive School – drama block – no objection but need to have regard for effect on neighbouring properties (DEC IMM RCP declared interest in this application)
33798/1 – Station Rd – residential development – object.

10. School Governors
Hermitage Primary – Report from PJG
Holmes Chapel Primary – Report from IMM.

11. Sandbach Almshouses Charity
Report on recent meetings from DRP.

12. Police
1. Concern expressed about the following incidents:
 Vandalism on Elm Drive particular paint spray on cars
 Damage at Scout Hut
 Theft of poppy boxes and use for collecting in Goostrey
Clerk to ask for special attention to these matters and to request Police attendance at a forthcoming meeting.
2. IMM reported on recent community safety meeting which she had attended to represent Council – concern at poor attendance.

13. Twinning Association
Clerk reported :
 Recent coach trip from Bessancourt cancelled because of some cancellations making coach uneconomic
 Small groups had travelled by car and there had been a small party although main event had been cancelled
 Concern expressed about future of the Association because of lack of support for events on both sides
 New Council elected in Bessancourt interested in group events – e.g. visit by choir.
Agreed Council should support continued existence of Association – if necessary on a changed basis – Clerk to monitor and report back.

14. Annual Remembrance Service
Chairman & Clerk reminded members of times for Sunday 11-11-01

15. Tidying the village and planting
DEC reminded members of work to be carried out in village centre on Sunday 18 –11-01

16. Meeting dates
Council approved list of dates prepared by Clerk for period January – April 2002

17. General correspondence
1. Millennium Garden –Draft agreement received from CCC – Resolved Clerk authorised to agree terms and document to be executed by Chairman and Vice Chairman on behalf of Council
2. Youth Club – Notice of AGM – Tuesday 20-11-01
3. CBC Survey on Community Survey – Resolved IMM complete on Council’s behalf.

18. Members items
1. Clerk to deal with following complaints / comments
 Damage to grass verges opposite 41 Middlewich Rd
 Need for handrail on steps leading to Precinct
 Hedges on Balmoral Drive and Chester Rd / Middlewich Rd junction
2. Clerk to enquire about future of school crossing if pedestrian crossing provided on Middlewich Rd

Close 8.45 p.m.

Council Meeting – 8 November 2001

Matters arising

1. First responder – Request for information – training in progress
2. Leisure centre – CBC unable to organise JMC until after Christmas – Twinning Dinner cancelled
3. Accidents A50 – Work started on bad corner – Clerk agreed with Brereton PC to reconsider when work completed
4. Police station – All members had received letter about future use of police station for serious incident unit
5. Best Kept Village Competition – Clerk had written to everyone mentioned specifically in judges comments – in particular to Railtrack about condition of station
6. Cranage playing pitches – Progress on informal area but CBC not making formal arrangements until access provided – Bob Hardiker to be invited to next A&P
7. Playing field Middlewich Rd – Work started but CBC had to close field temporarily because of ground conditions
8. Local Plan Review – Comments updated and a copy posted at Information Centre
9. Parking in village centre – Letter from Police indicating that their observations suggested that waiting restrictions ought to be considered – to be referred to District Engineer and next T&P
10. Meeting with District Engineer – JR and Clerk had met Roy Spicer to discuss a range of issues in particular to consider:
 a wider refuge opposite Barclays Bank to give better protection to prams and wheelchairs
 proliferation of unauthorised signs in village centre
 road markings on Knutsford Rd
 phasing of traffic signals Chester Rd / Station Rd / London Rd
 lighting at M6 junction
 parking and other issues on Parkway when McCarthy & Stone development complete
11. Manchester Airport – Considering roadshows for 2002 and will consider HC
12. Church View / Red Lion – Scaffolding erected so road kept open
14. Highways Department- IMM commented on good standard of recent work undertaken and good response to complaints.

Return to Minutes Index Page